Cavities are a major hazard to oral health, and treating them may be expensive and painful. In the back teeth, where 90% of cavities develop, dental sealants prevent 80% of cavities over the course of two years. Thankfully, modern dentistry and professional dentists in North York offer a range of preventive measures.
Dental sealants are a protective layer made of plastic applied to the pits and grooves of molars and premolars. They act as a barrier, keeping food particles and germs out of the tooth’s crevices, thus preventing cavities from forming.
How Do Dental Sealants Work?
Dental sealants serve as an extra layer of protection between your teeth and harmful particles that might cause cavities. This is how they function:
Sealants Fill in Grooves
Natural pits and grooves on the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars are susceptible to food particles and plaque. By successfully filling up these grooves and preventing food and bacteria from being trapped, sealants are applied to these surfaces.
The sealant creates a smooth surface on the tooth after application. There is less possibility of cavities since this surface is easier to maintain with regular brushing and flossing.
Dental sealants offer persistent cavity prevention for a number of years. When a kid or teen’s premolars and permanent molars erupt, they are usually used on them. However, sealants can also be advantageous for adults.
How Dental Sealants Can Safeguard Your Teeth Against Cavities?
Dental sealant in North York offers your teeth a layer of defense against cavities, making them a valuable asset in cavity prevention. Your molars and premolars’ surfaces, which often have been marked by deep grooves and fissures that can trap food particles and germs and increase their susceptibility to cavities, are covered with these thin, plastic coverings. When these weak spots are properly sealed, the sealants act as a physical barrier to prevent harmful substances from accumulating.
These coverings work for adults and kids, are quick to apply, and keep hard-to-reach areas cavity-free. They’re cost-effective, durable, and work best with regular check-ups and good oral hygiene.
Who Can Benefit from Dental Sealants?
- Children and Teenagers: Kids and teens are cavity-prone because of their diet and oral care. Applying sealants early can significantly cut their cavity risk.
- Adults: While sealants are commonly associated with children, adults who are cavity-prone can also benefit from this preventive measure.
- Individuals with Deep Grooves: Deep grooves in teeth make some people more susceptible to cavities. Sealants offer an extra layer of protection in these situations.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- Cavity Prevention: Dental sealants are excellent for preventing cavities, reducing the risk by up to 80% according to studies. In the fight against cavities, dental sealant near you might be a useful option.
- Cost-Effective: Dental sealants are cost-effective because preventing cavities is cheaper than treating them. It’s a small investment in long-term dental health that can lead to significant savings.
- Painless Process: Applying dental sealants is easy and quick. No need for drilling, anesthesia, or invasive procedures. Dental sealants are a simple, non-invasive way to keep your teeth protected.
- Suitable for All Ages: Sealants can be beneficial to adults even though they are frequently associated with youngsters. Dental sealants, regardless of age, can offer invaluable protection if you have deep tooth grooves and are susceptible to cavities.
Maintenance and Aftercare
- Maintain your routine dental examinations with a dentist near you to make sure the sealants are in good shape.
- To keep your teeth and sealants clean, practice good oral hygiene, which includes brushing and flossing on a regular basis.
- Avoid inappropriate behaviors like biting on ice or hard items as they could damage your sealants.
Preserve Your Oral Health with Us!
Lilac Family Dentistry is all about keeping your smile healthy and beautiful. Our team of experienced professionals offers various services, from check-ups to teeth whitening. We’re here to help you maintain a great smile, so whether it’s routine care or special treatments, we’ve got it all covered!
Visit us today, where your well-being and your smile are in expert hands.