Root Canal Therapy Near You
Your teeth have a protective outer layer called enamel, shielding the inner part called the pulp. But if the enamel weakens, the pulp, which contains essential blood vessels and nerves nourishing the teeth, becomes susceptible to infection and harm, increasing the risk of tooth loss.
At Lilac Family Dental, we offer root canal therapy in North York as a solution for patients with damaged pulp. This procedure aims to save the affected teeth from extraction and maintain their functionality.
When Do I Need a Root Canal?
Root canal treatment becomes essential when the pulp, the inner part of your tooth, gets damaged due to decay or injury. If you require root canal therapy in North York, you might be experiencing one or more of the following symptoms:
- Swollen or painful gums
- A tooth that feels loose
- Discomfort when applying pressure to the affected tooth
- Sudden darkening of the tooth
- Persistent toothache
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
In some cases, a tooth may need root canal therapy near you without showing any noticeable symptoms. That’s why it’s vital to visit a dentist regularly for dental checkups and cleanings every six months, ensuring early detection of any potential issues.
What Takes Place During Root Canal Therapy?
Although root canal therapy may seem intimidating, the procedure near you is highly effective and safe. Through following these steps, your dentist can successfully save your tooth and restore its function and health using root canal therapy:
- X-ray images are taken to assess the extent of infection or injury.
- The affected area is numbed with a local anesthetic for your comfort and pain relief.
- A sheet of rubber (dental dam) isolates the tooth keeping it clean during the procedure.
- A small access hole is created in the tooth to remove the affected pulp.
- After pulp removal, the tooth is thoroughly disinfected before sealing it.
- Finally, a dental crown is placed over the restored tooth giving it maximum protection and strength.
Root Canal Therapy Recovery
The root canal therapy healing process goes through several stages. Shortly after the procedure, patients usually experience immediate relief from the symptoms that led to treatment, like toothache or sensitivity.
- During the initial recovery stage, some sensitivity or discomfort around the treated tooth may occur, which can be managed with over-the-counter pain medications.
- As time passes, the tissues surrounding the tooth, including the gums and bone, start to heal. The healing duration varies, taking a few weeks or months, depending on the individual
- Once the tooth has internally healed, a restoration is typically done, often involving placing a dental crown for maximum protection and strength, restoring the tooth’s appearance and function.
Regular follow-up appointments with the dentist are essential to monitor the healing progress and guarantee the long-term effectiveness of the root canal treatment. The dentist will assess the tooth, check for signs of infection or complications, and provide necessary further treatment or care.
Do You Need Root Canal Therapy Near You?
In summary, the healing process for root canal therapy in North York aims to save the tooth from extraction and restore its health and functionality in the mouth. For more information, book a consultation and schedule a visit with our team at Lilac Family Dentistry today!