Have you been told you need a wisdom tooth extraction? While having your wisdom teeth removed certainly doesn’t sound like fun, it’s nothing to worry about. Wisdom tooth extraction is a very common procedure for many adolescents as their teeth and mouth finish developing. Wisdom teeth usually come in when a patient is between 17-25 years old.
Here are some signs and symptoms that you need your wisdom teeth removed.
- Pain in the back of the mouth that didn’t exist before
- Difficulty biting or chewing
- Increased sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages
If you or your child are experiencing these symptoms, make an appointment with your North York dentist. Regardless of whether the underlying problem is related to wisdom teeth, there is something going on that should be assessed by an oral healthcare professional.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth are the final adult teeth to develop as a person matures. While there are exceptions, most adults develop four wisdom teeth in the back of their mouths – one in each quadrant. These teeth often become impacted or infected and can apply pressure to surrounding teeth that can shift their alignment and cause problems down the road. An impacted tooth means that it is stuck and unable to pass through the bone and into your mouth. Wisdom teeth can also come in on an angle that can damage adjacent teeth.
How Does The Procedure Work?
The first step is to determine if you need to have your wisdom teeth removed. To make this decision, your North York dentist will take X-rays to get a good view of what’s happening under the gumline.
Wisdom tooth extractions are quick. Your procedure should be completed in under an hour. Depending on your situation, you will be given one of three types of anesthesia to ensure you don’t feel any pain:
- Local – Dr. Maralani will numb your mouth with a local anesthetic or nitrous oxide, and you will remain awake during the procedure
- IV sedation – your mouth will be numbed, and you will be given intravenous drugs to make you drowsy throughout the procedure. You may stay awake, or you may fall asleep – it’s different for everyone
- General – in some cases, a general anesthetic is required which you will breathe through a mask. In this case, you will be unconscious throughout the procedure
If you think it’s time to have your wisdom teeth removed, call Lilac Family Dentistry in North York to schedule an appointment today. Our office is conveniently located within a medical building at Bathurst and Sheppard with free parking onsite.